In recent years, first responders to natural disaster and mass casualty events have seen a resurgence in the use of tourniquets as an aid in life-saving. This is due, in part, to the increase in publicized events involving persons sustaining such injuries.
This article will provide you with the history of tourniquets and some of the latest research regarding their effectiveness in stopping severe bleeding. Also, it will help you choose the best tourniquet for your particular application.
Of the tourniquets tested, the CAT is superior to COT in its ability to completely occlude blood flow over longer periods of time. See the chart below for a summary of the results:
1. Recon Medical BLK-1PAK-FBA Tourniquet –
- Water-resistant nylon construction
- Includes a cool tactical carry bag
- One-year warranty
- Some users found it difficult to thread the tourniquet
- Heavy duty strap seemed a bit too bulky for some
This is probably the best tactical profliese training aid tourniquet. It is commonly utilized by law enforcement, military, fire rescue and EMS professionals and the primary get in touch with that an item is marketed to a particular branch of government or organization (indicating that they're the originator of the item) is printed on the item (indicates the government issued the item).
The BLACK-1PAK-FBA might be a slightly larger tourniquet than other selections, however it does not make decrease on the efficiency. In reality, you will be amazed by the speed in which this product blocks the blood circulation from the arm.
2. Recon Medical ORNGTQTourniquet -(Orange) Gen 3 Mil-Spec Kevlar Metal Windlass Aluminum First Aid Tactical Swat Medic Pre-Hospital Life Saving Hemorrhage Control Registration Card 1 Pack
The ORNGTQTourniquet has many features that make it well-suited for law enforcement, military, and EMS professionals. This tourniquet is made from high-quality components, which increases its reliability and longevity. Additionally, its flexible design allows the tourniquet to fit comfortably on a wide variety of body sizes and shapes.
The ORNGTQTourniquet is well-built and well-designed. This device is a popular choice for professionals that require a tourniquet for their jobs.
Some users have criticized the lanyard that comes with this tourniquet. They claim that it is too thin to be helpful and easy to break. Thankfully, this can be easily replaced with a stronger lanyard or a lanyard of a different brand.
3. SOFTT-W Tourniquet 1.5
- Designed to work with hypovolemic shock
- Up to 4.5 hours of compressed blood flow capacity
- Flexible and lightweight
- It comes with an instructional information leaflet
- Unique proprietary windlass system winds tourniquet tight
- Comfortably fits the ankle or thigh
- The increased length allows and easy application
- The shear force of the windlass system can cause nerve damage
- Not meant for use as a compression bandage
- Not for use on children
- Not for use on the distal radius blood vessels and/or any artery below the knee
- Premarketing clinical studies have neither enrolled enough patients nor been long enough to detect rare long-term complications of tourniquet use
In an emergency you need to:
- Inflate your cuff
- Apply the tourniquets directly to an extremity
- Tighten the tourniquet until the bleeding stops
- Measure the circumference of the affected limb at the site where you tighten it for a comparison with the proper placement
- Use the large size for arms and legs 12 inches or larger in circumference
- Use the medium size for arms and legs 8-11 inches in circumference
4. SWAT-T Tourniquet
- The material is not as rough as many others, so it doesn’t scratch your skin
- It’s compact, durable, and it looks great
This tourniquet is manufactured by SWAT, which stands for Save a Warrior Tactical. It’s a small company based in Texas that makes all-cotton tourniquets.
This product comes with all the necessary accessories for a quick and easy use, including: a bright orange nylon strap, heavy-duty Velcro strap, and a brightly colored lapel.
The belt has additional Velcro on each side, so you can do a custom and correct wrap. You have fast and easy deployment without creating a lot of slack in your belt.
5. Tourniquet –
- It’s very easy to tighten and release
- These tourniquets are highly durable
- The compatibility with most body types makes them ideal for drug raids and combat situations
- It’s easy to clean
- It’s resistant to the most extreme temperatures
6. Eyocean Tourniquet
- Affordable price
- Quick and easy application
- High quality tourniquet
- Burns for up to 5 hours
- Can be applied in any direction
- Locking mechanism prevents accidental detachment
- Abundant amount of survival applications
- The orange color makes it easier to find in harsh conditions
- Internal design could be stronger
Eyocean Emergency Rapid One-Hand Combat Tourniquet is a great device for any outdoor or emergency situation, especially in a combat environment.
Its specially designed locking mechanism ensures that you can apply the tourniquet in any direction and the locking mechanism won’t accidentally release.
This tourniquet features a windlass system, which makes it fast and easy to tighten up and secure patient. This is essential for any emergency situation such as accidents, road accidents or gunshot wounds to the field.
7. Tourniquets,SZCTKlink 3-Pack Outdoor Portable Tourniquet First Aid Quick Slow Release Buckle Medical Military Tactical Emergency Tourniquet Strap One Hand
- The inclusion of an adjustable velcro strap means it will fit over or under most clothing
- This can be used to both control rapid or slower bleeding
- Unlike some other products, this is simple enough that first-aiders or other untrained personnel could self-administer it on their own
- It is designed for a one-handed application, meaning that it will be easier to get it even if you’re injured yourself
- It weighs in at nearly half a pound
- It can be difficult to determine if it is on the correct side of the limb as it’s not obvious which side of the color band is which
- Tourniquet,SZCTKlink 3-Pack Outdoor Portable Tourniquet First Aid Quick Slow Release Buckle Medical Military Tactical Emergency Tourniquet Strap One Hand Application Fireman Armband for Outdoor sports EMS EMS Responders
This is a first-aid device which can be used to control bleeding, as well as to treat other injuries. It can be used for a wide range of sports-related activities, as well as a number of other uses for which you might need to apply a tourniquet.
This is a 3-pack set of tourniquets, but it also comes in a number of other options.
8. North American Rescue 2 Pack Genuine NAR CAT Tourniquet Gen 7 Black
- Adjustable compression
- MOLLE system
- All-around high-quality
- Survivor's Guide included
- The best first-aid kit you can buy
- Lean towards the heavier side of tourniquets
- Some have had issues with the rubber band breaking quickly
- The plastic clip can get broken
The North American Rescue is a very well-made solution for first-aid on the go. It’s an excellent brand for all first-aid needs especially if you are going out camping in the wilderness.
This tourniquet is used by the U.S. military and is a great safety tool to have on hand. The tourniquet has many different uses including for surgical procedures, as a temporary stop-gap measure if someone is bleeding. It can even be used to apply pressure for wounds and abrasions.
The CAT Gen 7 Tourniquet band is strong, and it works fast. It is a great product that can be carried anywhere.
9. Approved Tactical Military Combat Tourniquet
- The band is wide, which offers more support
- Offers support for upper and lower extremity wounds
- Includes six colors for use in different situations
- The elastic allows it to be a one size fits all option
- The band can break easily if placed under weight or pressure
- If not used correctly it can hurt more than it helps
Radical Firearms 2.0 “ New for 2019
With Radical Firearms 2.0, your rifle will shoot flatter while the ergonomic, picatinny rails allow for the addition of accessories and optics.
This is a honed version of the first New Radical and something that will produce a great product that costs less due to the fact that it is made in Russia and not in the United States. Many customers found this 90% lower to be plenty stiff out of the box and they did not need to anodize it or coil it.
10. RATS Tourniquet
- Strong material
- Ability to survive in extreme conditions
- Quick and easy to use
The sleeve is capable of carrying the tourniquet and has two pouches for the blood clotting agent (and a small roll of gauze, too). It is also capable of being attached to the belt and has a clip on the outside to assist with removal from the belt.
The Guardian Angel Guardian Tourniquet works best for medium to large sized patients. They are comprised of a material that can sustain both high and low temperatures as well as impact resistance. Reviewers have also found these tourniquets to be compatible well with a wide range of firearms.
The Guardian Angel Guardian Tourniquet also comes with a belt clip to attach to the Readyman Every Day Carry Belt Sleeve Holder. This can then be attached to the thigh of the shooter and tilts to the side for quicker application when needed.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best tourniquets?
In general, any NATO approved tourniquet is the best tourniquet for the average person. Still, in this section, there are specific models we’ve reviewed as the best tourniquets money can buy.
Are Recon medical tourniquets good?
In a word, yes. This is a great product. However, it does have some shortcomings in certain areas. If you plan on using these on a regular basis, it can be useful to know what the pro’s and con’s are going to be. Here’s the breakdown:
Which Type Of Tourniquet Do You Need?
There are three standard tourniquet styles: The self-locking, the self-activating, and the quick stick. The simplest style is the self-activating. This is the kind you’re most likely familiar with because it’s typically a Velcro strap. It doesn’t lock itself, so you have to be pretty sure that the pressure is correct.
What tourniquet does the military use?
Designed to support large limbs or around a person’s waist, the military tourniquet has a capacity of upward of six and a half pounds. With a high breaking point, this tourniquet is not for children, pregnant women or people of a small stature.
It’s designed for large, injured limbs and offers valuable support when the limb in question has been crushed or punctured by shrapnel.
How many types of tourniquets are there?
Tourniquets are classified into four major types according to the location where they are applied on the patient’s limb. These four types are:
- Under the arm tourniquet
- Radial tourniquet
- Popliteal tourniquet
- Femoral tourniquet
All of these types of tourniquets can be used to control the bleeding of your patients. Its applications range from first aid to surgery.
All of these types of tourniquets share common components such as a windlass, rod, or wire, buckle, and a lock that keeps the windlass locked in place.
Note: Before you start reading our review, please go through the installation instructions to make sure that it is correctly installed your computer. To make sure that you get the most out of this software, please read the next feature. When it comes to selecting the best tourniquet, there is so much that you have to look at.